Wednesday, June 6, 2018

In May, the great influx of Summer visitors began, and I have been able to meet new people and travel more than all the previous months. It has been nice, but I do miss the weekly schedule I had formed. My language course is finished, and I can speak to people now! But I'm sure I sound funny, and I can only use very simple sentences. Although my schedule is changing, I know that the previous months were to learn, and now, I feel an urge to start implementing projects. 

The last two weeks of May, a team came from America and we went to Sarandë. A pastor, a public-speaker, and a Fellowship of Christian Athletes coach instructed our church on disciple making and doing sports God's way. It was very good instruction. I especially appreciated the F.C.A. coach's instruction, because I have been trying to figure out the best way to incorporate gospel teaching into our recreation program. I will be implementing a small change (adding soccer drills) very soon.

Here is Cole, the F.C.A. coach in Kruja.
He reminded me how beneficial Sports can be to motivate, have fun, and enjoy competition. 
One of the nice things about groups coming is I get to travel with them all over Albania! Albania is a very small country, only 178 miles from north to south. Along the way, the scenery is AMAZING. Here are some of the things I saw:

Butrintit: The ancient ruins of a city built around 8th century BC by the Illyrians. It became a Roman province in 228 BC, was subsequently occupied by Venetians, and also used by the Ottomans. I can say it was the most amazing archeological site I have ever seen. This photo is of a temple to the Roman god of healing, and is the entrance to a Roman theater. The Romans attempted to execute a Christian in this theater, but when they released the hungry lions the lions would not eat him. Since the lions wouldn't, they killed him with swords.  
The Blue Eye: a natural spring that springs an entire river. The spring is strong enough that you can throw a stone into the spring, and it will not sink. 
Sarandë: This photo overlooks the city of Sarandë, a beach town in south Albania.
I am very excited about the coming months. Please pray that I wait for God's direction while also implementing things I am preparing for recreation. The aproaching summer will be a time for  reflection. I hope it gets me ready for the projects this fall!

Genesis 9:16 (NIV) "Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going into my last two months in Albania, I had specific jobs to fulfill apart from the Waggoner's usual weekly ministries. Two of the ...