Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I am in a schedule now of helping the Waggoners with their ministry, traveling to Tirana for Albanian language course, and teaching guitar on Wednesdays.

The parts of the Waggoners ministry I help with include recreation: soccer, basketball, and other games, for three days a week as well as kids bible clubs on Wednesday and Saturday. Recreation is usually a blast of kids running and kicking balls, and playing their favorite games of soccer or basketball. My job is simply to play, but keep a watchful eye out for any bad disruptions like fighting or someone getting hurt. 

One of the boys climbing the tree outside of the recreation area.

Some of the kids with their freshly picked flowers at the recreation area. 
When I am home at the Hope Center, I get the privilege of hanging out and helping supervise the kids who live there. This has become one of my favorite things about my time here thus far.

Some of the boys from the Hope Center at our weekly movie night.
They apparently had a tiring day.
One of the perks of volunteering with the Waggoners is that every now and then we go on an adventure! This was the first time I left the village or Tirana, and we traveled to the Cape of Rodan, quite a hike to a castle on the Adriatic coast. It is the Castle which the Albanian National hero Skanderbeg fled from, to Italy. After being entreated by the Pope to return to Albania and fight the Ottoman Army, he did so, and successfully stopped the Ottoman Empire from taking Albania in its pursuit to Rome.
Reni looking off the cliffs.

Looking back along the hike to the Cape of Rodon.
 You can see former bunkers from Communism built into the mountainside on the left. 

Reni eagerly showed the way.

Looking back from the Cape.
Easter was one of the most joyful congregational experiences I've had. There were about a hundred people in all. Kid's from a more rural village than the Waggoners were transported by bus to the service so they could be a part of it as well, and their faces were ecstatic. I was happiness on happiness, and the kids and adults showed it afterwards with dancing and hangin out.


On the left is pastor Genti. "Gëzuar Pashkët" means "Happy Easter."




Endri modeling the barbeque set, while getting ready for Easter lunch. 
I wish the actual video worked, but this is after the service while we ate together.
Much dancing ensued :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Going into my last two months in Albania, I had specific jobs to fulfill apart from the Waggoner's usual weekly ministries. Two of the ...